Recommended Reading for Upper Mustang|
Want to know more about Upper Mustang before you sally forth?
Here are some reading suggestions.
- Michael Peissel. (1967) Mustang, The Forbidden Kingdom. Exploring a Lost Himalayan Land. Peissel was the first Westerner to actually spend time in Upper Mustang. Chock full of history and adventure, this is a great and detailed book (if a bit outdated on the modern era as he traveled in 1964.)
- Clara Marullo [text] & Vanessa Schuurbeque [Photos]. The Last Forbidden Kingdom, Mustang: Land of Tibetan Buddhism. Thames and Hudson Ltd, 1995.
- Peter Matthiessen [text] & Thomas Laird [photos]. East of Lo Monthang – In the Land of Mustang. Shambala Publications, 1996.
- Partha S. Banerjee. Wild, windy and harsh, yet stunningly beautiful. The Sunday Tribune [Chandigarh, India], April 21, 2002.
- Shepherd leads experts to ancient Buddha cave paintings. The Guardian, May 4, 2007
- New highway divides isolated Buddhist kingdom of Mustang. Taipei Times, Saturday, May 19, 2007. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2007/05/19/2003361588/1
- Ker Than. New Death Ritual Found in Himalaya—27 De-fleshed Humans. In high cliffside caves, explorers find 1,500-year-old bones. National Geographic News, March 1, 2011.
- Steve Chao. Mustang: A Kingdom on the Edge. February 20, 2012. https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/aljazeeracorrespondent/2011/10/201110912360944324.html
- Edward Wong. Myths and Mountains in Nepal. The New York Times, October 26, 2012.
- Michael Beck. >Mustang. The Culture and Landscape of Lo. Vajra Publications, 2014.
- Sienna Craig (text] & Kevin Bubriski [photos]. Mustang in Black and White Vajra Publications; 2019.